Friday, December 4, 2009

~~~~ i love the beauty of winter and the fresh crisp blanket of white that coats everything after a good snowfall but with the first snow comes the fear of falling on the ice. For me this is an event that happens every year without fail and always leaves me sore for days. Now that i have my bad back and hips i am even more scared of falling on the ice. What if i land wrong or on my back or hips? Who will take care of me and Son if i am stuck in bed? Worse what if i break something in the fall and am laid up for weeks rather then days? Right now i have Roommate who every year promises that he will help if something like this happens to me but what about when i move out on my own with Son?

~~~~ i have all these beautiful boots with heels that i would wear year round and really loved to wear in the winter. But now i do not touch them. i am always in gym shoes or snow boots. Even when i go to court i wear my gym shoes there and change into my dress shoes once i am in the building. i do not risk walking on any ice in anything that is not a tractioned sole. Even with those i fall every year.


~~~~ With the first snow also comes the promise of continued cold weather and that brings the promise of PAIN. If i get to cold my back tenses up and causes excruciating pain. i have lived in the north all my life first in the Cleveland, OH suburbs and now in the Chicago, IL suburbs but until i was hit by a car the cold never bothered me. Now i bundle up like i have never experienced a winter in my life just try and keep from getting a chill that cause my back to tense. i used to walk outside barefoot in the snow to get the mail or put out the dog now that is not even an option i have to bundle up like i am going for an hour hike just to step ou
tside.

~~~~ On the plus side to all of this though is the beauty of sitting in a chair by the window of my nice warm house under a wonderfully comfy blanket and reading a book
with the snow falling. Or crocheting and watching the snow fall. All while enjoying some hot tea, hot coco, or hot cider. MMMMMM. In fact i think i am going to go and make myself some hot tea right now and light some incense or a nice candle and curl up with a good book


0 comments: